Friday, January 3, 2014

Quadrantid meteor shower

Yet again I was irresistibly drawn to try to view another meteor shower. I've been trying diligently to view the main meteor showers for a couple of years now, but with very little luck. The last several times, it's been cloudy or raining. This time it was cool, clear, and crisp, with only a few clouds and no mosquitoes. So, a little after midnight, I got into the car and drove for about 45 minutes, north and west till I was in the agricultural zone between West Palm Beach and Lake Okeechobee. It's fairly dark out there, though there is still some light pollution in the east, where the large urban zone lies. I found the alleged radiant point, a little below and west of Ursa Major. I lay on the hood of the car in the dark, listening to a constant cacophony of distant dog barks, human screams, and horse whinnies, underlain by soft gurgles and plops from the nearby canal that I imagined were probably from alligators watching me.

In an hour, I saw one meteor.

I got home after 3: 00 a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment