Tuesday, March 10, 2015

More on Archaeology Journal Impact Factors

I have created a stable page on this blog in which I provide links to the Scimago rankings and impact data for about 80 of the highest ranked archaeology journals. I hope this may be a useful resource for others who are curious about publishing in our field or, like me, are trying to choose a journal.

I regret to say that I left our old darling the Numismatic Chronicle off the list. Like you, when I hear someone mention The Chronicle, I immediately think of numismatics, not the Chronicle of Higher Education.But as its primary focus is not archaeology, I could not justify including it on the list.

Scimago lists over 200 archaeology journals, and I'm sure many others exist but are too obscure to garner bibliometric attention. Many of the 200-odd journals appear to have small impacts, but archaeologists do generate a lot of significant data that need to find a home. With all these journals, you would think it easy to get published, but a journal's impact and prestige are not correlated--according to my anecdotal experience--with the fairness or finickiness of peer-reviewers or editors.

I would love for you to let me know if the links on the new page are helpful to you.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Clifford,
    I am fron Nicaragua, I gruw up in San Lorenzo Boaco. I am also an archaeologist. I been reading all about your trips to Nicaragua. I live in Louisville KY, but I go to my town ones a year. I'm not doing archaeology, but I will like to collaborate with you in the feature.
    PAz Marlon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marlon:

      Thank you for contacting me. I know a little about Boaco. Have you ever been to Cusirisna? Feel free to contact me directly at my e-mail address: ctbrown@fau.edu.

      Best wishes,

      Cliff

      Delete